Monday, November 9, 2009

forwarding

Okay. I know a lot of people will laugh at the tendency to find Messages From The Universe in simple, mundane experiences. But for those of you who can relate, I'll describe today's little puzzle, for your entertainment. Or maybe for any insights you can help me find, if you wanna get metaphorical with me here for just a minute.

I've been in my new apartment for just over a month now. The day after I moved in I took my little change-of-address card to the nearest post office, which happens to be one block away. Then I waited. And waited. Three weeks later, with not so much as a junk mail flier in the box, I called to inquire. Yes, we have your forward, they said. It should be on the way. What else can I do but wait some more. So I do. And now after almost two more weeks, it seems like it might be time to call again. This time they direct me to a different station. The guy there asks, "Are you sure you're using the right box? There's not a set of locking boxes on your block?" I haven't even considered this possibility, since there is a large, rusty, typical-looking mailbox immediately outside my door. Which I've been checking, hopefully, almost every day. But I go outside, and what d'ya know, there's a locked box a couple houses down. With my address on one of the little doors. The landlady (who lives next door) happens to be home, so I go and ask her if, by chance, I'm supposed to have a key to that box. "Oh yes," she says. "I told you all about it when you moved in. You have to take your lease to the post office near the airport - the one down the block is not our post office - and show it to them. And they'll give you the key."

Wow. I have no memory of this conversation, but I get directions from her and head to the airport. Have to call the station again en route for more help finding them. My new post office finally appears, behind the airport, past the rental car offices, in with the international freight movers. Next to where they park the planes when they're not using them. At least there is no one waiting in line. The friendly woman at the counter has me fill out a form, and tells me they'll go out and change the lock on my box, probably tomorrow. I was hoping to get my key right away, and go discover a month's worth of treasure (or at least unpaid bills) awaiting me. No, she says, they'll call me when the change is made, and then I can drive out behind the airport once again and pick up my new key. And, no, they don't hold unclaimed mail without a special written request. If I'm lucky, my mail from the last month will show up somewhere, out of whatever forwarding limbo it's been circulating in all this time.

Okay, any ideas? I think there's something here that applies to the life-class called Learn to Ask For What You Need, but I'm not sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment