Monday, June 27, 2011

dancing quotes

A few lines I copied down from a recent read: Dancing in Cuba, by Alma Guillermoprieto.


There was a prevailing sense of immobility, and since nothing ever seemed to happen, the hours abounded.

It was a fervor that came to find me as I trotted through my daily itinerary...deeply immersed in my ongoing arguments for and against myself and my life.

...it seems...when he distanced himself from the gangsterish student groups who controlled the political life of the university, Fidel opted for romanticism as an existential posture...the one who excited and moved me was not the Marxist or the troublemaker but the armed dreamer.

"There should always be avant-garde, but not everyone should have to endure it."

"It's just that we're still living like consumers of culture here...Why don't we produce it ourselves?"

But we were afraid of the void and longed for the order of the Revolution.

Determined to find some answers, I spent that whole night in dialogue with myself, and though I listened very carefully, I was impossible to understand.

(Jose Marti) He admired the vigor of the North American culture he inhabited for so long, and by writing he found ways to keep from drowning in it.

1 comment:

  1. "Determined to find some answers, I spent that whole night in dialogue with myself, and though I listened very carefully, I was impossible to understand.Determined to find some answers, I spent that whole night in dialogue with myself, and though I listened very carefully, I was impossible to understand." reminds me of a bit of song:

    "People, people, people, they make it sound so easy
    They say just do what your heart tells you to
    But sometimes you cannot feel it
    Sometimes you cannot hear it
    Sometimes it won’t talk back to you"
    ~Avettt Brothers, Pretty Girl From San Diego

    ReplyDelete