Saturday, August 15, 2009

land(e)scaping

Landscaping: the process of moving every piece of organic material on a given site to a new and different spot on the site. What a perfect expression of "civilized" human nature...

This week's work: Added two new terraces in front of this house, with 20-foot-long rock walls to contain each one. Finished Erosion Control Sites #1-7 (the entire 2-acre property sits on a slope, with the house at its center). Replaced broken flagstones in front walks. Prepared beds for fall garden. Dismantled old wooden arbor, using only a socket wrench and a hammer. So satisfying, what the hands can do with only a few tools' help.

The Real work of this week: moving earth, in a more essential action. Engaging the Earth element, the sense of place or belonging - elusive but still present - in my rather un-grounded here and now. It's easier than I thought it would be, without a permanent job or a place to live. It's about reaching within, centering. But it's also about reaching out, to the welcome that each moment and each friend offers. Either way, it's an inside job.

A while ago, my Real Life Rob Brezny horoscope had some line about, instead of going to the mountain, bringing the mountains inside me. I thought he was being cute, as he's really good at doing. But no, it works. Those distracting place-essences that haunt me, out of all the nomad's journeys, are getting a little more cooperative all of a sudden. Consenting, even, to come and join my inner landscape once in a while, instead of looming as far-off memories of Oregon or Colorado or all points in between. Lending their mountain-strength, their valley-protection, their desert-vision to the needs of the view that looks out, from within. Letting me make my escape from the mundane moment into the greener world, while still keeping a sense of place, of center, where I am. I don't know if I can explain how suprising a development this is, or how welcome.

But Mexico is one journey that won't fit inside in this way. Not neatly, anyway. Not easily. Not without spiralling green vine-tails reaching out around the edges, refusing to be contained, still growing their dreams and visions. I tried not to think about travel this summer, really I did. Gave Albuquerque and the responsible steady life my best effort. But that current just doesn't stop flowing, and things that seemed lasting have proved impermanent once again. The job, the house, the learning opportunity have all said sorry, please keep looking. Everything I put so carefully in its place has uprooted itself, and moved to a new spot. So, I'm waiting for my friend to return my call - the one that's heading to Michoacan in just a few days. It's crazy, perhaps. But really, what viable offers is the "civilized" consensus reality making right now? And more important is how to answer what Life invites: Let go of your fear and your insecurity. And maybe your security as well, if it keeps you out of Love's reach. Start learning what your hands and your heart can do to give you a good living. Get grounded again, but get free while you're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment