Thursday, October 15, 2009

good day later

"It's gotta be nap time somewhere, right?" A guy just said that to me, in line for coffee. At 10 in the morning. Don't say it, man. I'm still trying to detach from another night's wishes for sufficient sleep. And I got English class in an hour. Hoping to make it a little less boring this week - that's the very simple goal of every week, lately. Maybe I'll add the new adjectives from the silly workbook to our non-magnetic poetry collection (a lot of small paper rectangles, each with one word, easy for building sentences from). Maybe I'll ask her to do some practice reading with the bilingual newspaper I picked up, even though its news is already a month old. Maybe we'll just do some too-easy dialogues, and the hour will fly by just like that. But that's what I want to avoid. That's exactly what my four years of Spanish classes did for me, which is the reason why, almost 20 years later (wow), I'm still struggling just to keep up with the good jokes in an everyday conversation with friends. I don't want M to be in that boat, if I can help it. Hope I can help it.

It's gonna be a good day later. Time to wander and play tourist, among the autumned leaves and slanting light that, to me, give Santa Fe its best face. Time to work on a couple of projects for la danza, sitting by the river. Time to meet up with a friend I haven't talked with in almost 7 years, and just met again recently. It's gonna be a lovely day, if I can only stay awake for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment