Saturday, January 23, 2010

heard it on the radio

I am neither willing nor able to comment at any length on politics. I'm just unable to see what most of it has to do with human beings. But once in awhile a shred of something comes through that gives the subject an almost human face. Heard this last night on NPR. The story was the possible corruption of the upcoming elections in Iraq. Apparently it is being suggested that the government, in trying to exclude direct former supporters of Saddam Hussein, has done far too good a job, excluding supporters of positions other than their own while they're at it. Experts were of course consulted, and then, for the man-on-the-street perspective, they went to a 21-year-old waiter in Baghdad, who said this: "I'm sure the elections will go on, but how do we tell the honorable people from the thieves and liars?" I waited, holding my breath, at this. I so wanted the commentator to end the piece with, "And so we see that America has at last truly brought democracy to Iraq." But I guess they're not allowed to go that far with their comments, even on NPR. So I'll say it for 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment