Friday, May 21, 2010

not just my voices

...far from it, in fact. Such a relief that I have no need (as is, I fear, the ego's trap for many activists) to hear my voice as the only one being raised. Voices are indeed heard, on the immigration front, from all manner of surprising directions. I was happy to see this week's Alibi (Albuquerque's indie paper, www.alibi.com) devote its cover and several articles to the subject. I know that so many of intelligence and heart are adding their voices daily, both locally and nationwide. And here's the latest unexpected voice to come to my hearing:

"Can you recall a time when American athletes have come out in solidarity to support a particular political viewpoint? Indeed, it’s rare when American politics becomes intertwined with sports, and when it does, those events are usually premeditated, oftentimes-brash actions by individuals. However, on May 5, the National Basketball Association’s Phoenix Suns banded together to protest Arizona’s new SB1070 bill in one of the most beautiful political statements in my recent memory, for it simultaneously spoke to immigrants’ rights, political news organizations who could care less about sports (and vice versa), and proponents of the idea of basketball as a “team game,” and perhaps, American government included in that idea."

Read the entire article at http://www.tikkun.org/tikkundaily/2010/05/17/los-suns-bring-basketball-to-spiritual-progressives-arena/.

No comments:

Post a Comment