Sunday, February 8, 2009

the day is alive

What an day is today! This is one of the most gorgeous and dramatic days I've ever seen in Santa Fe. Woke up to sun but with gathering clouds around the edges. Snow is already falling over the mountains, but something's happening to westward as well. While north and east are all postcard pictureperfect silverblue and snowmist, the south and west are an inexplicable solid wall of purple-grey-brown riot. Something Is Coming This Way. And it's going to meet in the middle, right over us. It's almost like the town's two divergent personalities have found visible expression. They've taken on bodies, and are gonna take it outside now, and fight it out.

I'm leaving my house with a couple hours til work, and the hope of finding a wireless spot on the way. Heading south down Cerrillos turns up spots that are either closed, or overly full. It takes 3 tries to land (and even then only thanks to the generosity of another laptop guy who offers to trade me tables since he's got battery power). In the process of this search, I'm driving down and back along the very rim of the storm front, which is howling in on winds made visible by the earth, trash and leaves they've picked up and thrown into the air. As I head east for one last stop, soft rain begins to fall. As I get out in the parking lot 10 minutes later, it is sleeting into snow. And just as the snow gets really enthusiastic, it starts thundering. WOW!

One constant in the experience of storms in the desert, for me, is wondering if the thunder will come. And trying to remember the last time that I heard its voice. It brings such power with it. It restores Life again. I don't know any other way to say it. It is a thing that present, and that essential. Rain, sleet, snow fill our land's thirsty water tables and rivers and reservoirs. And thunder fills the emptied places of the soul with re-membering to Possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment