Friday, July 10, 2009

thanks

I just realized last week that I've been teaching ESL (trying to teach it) for 8 months already. There was nothing in the blur of time to show this - weeks run together and become months just like that. Here, as in most every other aspect of the everyday. The three of us - two students and I - didn't have any too dramatic signs of progress to make it evident either. But time made a jump when I realized that M's youngest daughter is trying to walk now. She could only lie in her mother's arms, in the first few classes. And she's got this crazy head of wild hair out of nowhere, too. I understand that babies do that kind of thing. Grow hair and develop language overnight. (I, for one, could be a little jealous on both counts). But I hadn't been around any to see it happen, in a long time.

M was on her own again at class yesterday. L still has so many work and personal conflicts keeping her back. I hope we all figure something out. But M told me some exciting news, about negotiating two conversations in stores this week, with people who only spoke English. Which is a major step, and takes courage. If you've ever been there, you know about it. We did our usual hour through the boring workbook, which I think will cease to offer her a challenge pretty soon. Right as I was about to leave, her husband came in. He's passed through the room a couple of times before, only saying "hi", no more. Today, he pauses in the kitchen, and tells me, "Thank you for coming here!" I reply, surprised, that I'm happy to come. He continues - pretending to be stern, but with a goodnatured smile behind his voice - "I tell her, don't speak Spanish any more! Learn English now!" "Well, she's learning it!" I tell him. "I've heard the stories!" Wow, I hope everybody in that room got as much lift of spirits out of that little exchange as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment