Sunday, February 7, 2016

lesson, 2 (Jan. 3)

Been feeling like the Bad Tourist this week. For reasons within and without, too many repeated misunderstandings, possibly "cultural differences", are starting to get to me. Sorry, inner judges, but I just don't know how to accept being constantly cut in front of in lines, or talked ABOUT instead of TO, or being assured that, don't worry, a dish doesn't have any chile in it when that's actually what I want. But as always, have to try to shine the light on the beauty and the understanding, though it be small. Last couple days have brought the very clear and valuable message, "Don't assume". It happened when a woman at the next hotel down seemed to be listening in as I inquired about prices, and then made me a better offer than her neighbor. With the clerk at the bus station, who told me busses started running at 6:30 a.m. and then wasn't there at 7:30 -- but just as I got annoyed the bus pulled up to the empty station, right on time... 

And then (in case I wasn't getting it yet), the message came again today in a really sweet style. Stopping at a "tourist information" office, I said "Buenos dias" to the older man inside. He replied in kind, and then turned away and began writing on a chalkboard. I watched, nonplussed, as he ignored me and began to write -- in English.  "Sometimes I feel afraid...be not ready". Finally I said, politely I hoped, "Is there someone here who can give tourist information?" He turned immediately and said, "Oh, excuse me! You probably thought I was ignoring you, but you see, I am blind. Since I didn't hear you, I thought you had passed on by." We proceeded to have a lovely conversation in which I not only learned all I needed to know about the area, but also that he had lived in Seattle for 5 years ("Of _course_ I went there to work"), and in that time had become pretty fluent in English, which helped to give him a job in this small town. He made absolutely sure I had understood all his directions, and then asked if I would mind coming back by the next day, to tell him how my outings went and so he could have the feedback on his information. I would not mind that at all. Been overdue for a little of that kind of understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment