Saturday, January 3, 2009

reclaiming

Best overheard bar conversation of the week:
"I'm married; you're not, you're not."

A 50-something guy says this, rapidly as if ticking items off a list, to the man and woman on either side of him. I think it was a comment about their seating arrangement. But the woman next to me and I both heard it differently, and burst out laughing at the same time. "Tell it like it is! Nothing like honesty!" she exclaimed. I was having mental images of entering a bar as something like going through customs: What have you got to declare? Maybe the bouncer separates the customers into two lines, a long game of duck-duck-goose. Or, in a really honest world, they separate themselves. Although "Looking" and "Not looking" would, of course, be a more useful distinction in that case...or maybe "Lonely" and "Not Lonely"...

In either case, I found myself (as in, my self and I re-connected) in the latter of those categories, last night at one of the liveliest bars in town. Not only did I find a seat in a quiet back corner that 1) gave a clear view of the excellent band, 2) rendered me invisible to all the lonely hearts wanting to dance or attempt exasperating conversation, and 3) brought fine attention from the two wonderful bartenders, who refilled my water glass continually while smiling, "Sure you don't need anything more?" No, thank you kindly. I truly don't need anything more tonight. Desirelessness: what a beautiful space it is. I was getting needlessly attached to some things, some lovely ideas with little or no reason to be. Now those energies are being reclaimed. Diverted back into the larger Current's flow, to water the next growing season.

1 comment:

  1. Three cheers for reclaiming!
    I love the image of self-categorizing patrons at a bar. If only it were easier to declare to the world that we're "Looking" or "Not Looking" - whether it's for conversation, a dancing partner, or free advice!

    ReplyDelete